This past weekend was extremely rare. Most of the time when a film falls out of the top 5 box office positions it stays out. Very rarely does it happen to climb back in after being knocked out in the previous week. It is even more rare that it jumps up two positions! Congrats Captain Marvel for being that very rare film.
After the April 12-14 box office wrapped up, Captain Marvel was knocked out of the top 5 box office positions. However, it came back with a vengeance and not only managed to steal the number four position this past weekend (miraculously jumping over five), the amount of people that saw it in weekend six compared to weekend seven jumped up by six percent. This is rare because traditionally a film’s trajectory for the amount of tickets purchased drops close to 50 percent per weekend. It almost never goes up.
Also, The Curse of La Llorona managed to destroy initial projections of $17 Million predicted by Box Office Mojo and bring in just over $26.3 Million. For lower budgeted horror movie this is a huge success.
Plenty of money was made over this past weekend, however it pales in comparison to what will be made in the coming weekend with Avengers: Endgame coming out to play.
Check out the full breakdown of top 5 box office predictions below.
- No 1. The Curse of La Llorona – $26,347,631 in its first weekend of release.
- No 2. Shazam! – $16,464,508. Bringing its total gross in its 3rd weekend to $120,437,864.
- No 3. Breakthrough – $11,282,333 in its first weekend of release.
- No 4. Captain Marvel – $9,105,610. Bringing its total gross in its 7th weekend to $400,031,743.
- No 5. Little – $8,327,435. Bringing its total gross in its 2nd weekend to $29,256,845.
What do you think of these box office results? What is your take on Captain Marvel climing back into the Top 5? How much will things change when Avengers: Endgame is released next weekend? Leave a comment below and let’s make a discussion about it. Also, follow me on Twitter to continue the conversation @KylanReelCritic.