Another weekend has gone by, and Shazam! continues to hold fast to its spot at the top of the box office. Everyone else fell behind by a mile!
This was an interesting weekend at the box office. In the top five positions there were three movies that are reboots of previously made movies, and one movie based on an already excising comic book IP. Meaning that Little, which came in second place, was the only movie based on an original idea that made it into the top five box office positions.
Two films made their opening weekend debut this past weekend, yet failed to make it into the number one spot – Little, which made $15 million and Hellboy, making only $12 Million. The returns for both of these films is below what outlets were predicting and below what the studios wanted Is this due to bad marketing? Probably not. Many, including myself, are speculating that their lack of box office success is due to the looming shadow that the upcoming Avengers: Endgame has been casting over the month of April. Many movie going audience members are saving their pennies so they can spend it on the newest Avengers film.
Check out the full box office breakdown below!
- No 1. Shazam! – $24,453,514. Bringing its total gross in its 2nd weekend to $94,226,527.
- No 2. Little – $15,405,455 in its first weekend of release.
- No 3. Hellboy (2019) – $12,045,147 in its first weekend of release.
- No 4. Pet Sematary (2019) – $9,745,207. Bringing its total gross in its 2nd weekend to $40,866,867.
- No 5. Dumbo (2019) – $9,404,542. Bringing its total gross in its 3rd weekend to $90,163,704.
What do you think of these box office results? Why do you think the overall numbers were so low? Leave a comment below and let’s make a discussion aboout it. Also, follow me on Twitter to continue the conversation @KylanReelCritic.